In the past, the college was founded as the Forests School in 1942 at Khartoum Forest Nursery. It was moved to its present location in Soba neighborhood in 1962. It was a two-year diploma awarding Institute up to 1979.
The Institute was affiliated to the Ministry of Higher Education in 1973. In 1985, it was one of the institutes of Khartoum Polytechnic and in1990 Sudan University for Science and Technology was created.
In 1996, the Institute was upgraded to award B.Sc in forestry in four years and in 1998 the department of range science was established. The college started awarding. B.Sc with Honors (five years) in 2002.